It’s Montreal Baroque’s 15th anniversary! Come celebrate with Early Modern Conversions presenters.
MUSIC, TRAVEL, AND THE RENAISSANCE EAR
Friday, June 23rd, 5 pm, Mac Café, Museum of Contemporary Art
What music did Renaissance travelers carry in their saddlebags when they left Europe and ventured into Ottoman lands? And what music did they bring back with them? Were they converted by what they heard? In this session, Carla Zecher from McGill’s the Early Modern Conversions project will follow in the footsteps of the sixteenth-century French botanist and amateur lutenist, Pierre Belon, as he maps the musical contours of the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Carla Zecher, Executive Director of The Renaissance Society of America
CIRCUS OF CONVERSION ROUNDTABLE
Saturday, June 24th, 12:30pm, Notman House Café
In this spectacular “three ring” panel presentation, scholars and performers from McGill’s Early Modern Conversions project will explore the impact of conversion on music, theatre, and the visual arts in the Renaissance.
- Paul Hopkins, professional actor
- Paul Yachnin, Tomlinson Professor of Shakespeare Studies, McGill
- Julie Cumming, Interim Dean of the Schulich School of Music, McGill
- Carla Benzan, Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, McGill
- Gisele Amantea, Montreal-based artist